Come and take a walk with me. Today, I'm taking you on a tour around the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia. My internship hot spot. :)


I've never given much thought to what my dream job would be like. I still don't, but working at the embassy seems to fulfil most of my pseudo-criteria: the work is varied and challenging and I get to learn so many things, from politics and economics to culture and protocol. I might not know what my dream job would be, but this experience will definitely make my list of top ten favourite jobs. OK, let's just say it's pretty decent. Before I get carried away too much. :)


What I like most is the fact that my tasks are very diverse and I have, so far, never been bored at work. I especially like coordinating events and trying to make things fit into a schedule. Of course, I most definitely like translation tasks. That's where I really feel at home.


For you to get an idea of my work, let me make a brief overview of what my tasks involve.

When there's nothing else more important to do, I read Dutch newspapers and magazines and pay attention to anything that might be interesting for the embassy, for example, the EU-expansion, the Balkans, foreign affairs interesting for Slovenia, current Dutch political situation. Of course, if there is a direct mention of Slovenia, all your lights should started to blink, the ambassador said. :) Not that it happens often, of course. But a couple of days ago, when all newspapers around the globe wrote about the notorious WikiLeaks, there was also a direct mention of Slovenia among those pieces of information that leaked. On the fornt page of the Volkskrant, it said that Slovenia might greet president Obama if the country decides to take one Guantanamo Bay prisoner. (Those of you who are Slovenian. This news has probably hit the front pages of all newspapers, hasn't it?!). Another time, there was a long article on SLovenia in a camping magazine and another one in a wine magazine. In both cases, they highly praised Slovenia for its secret charms.


As easy and relaxed this task might seem - true, I only need to sit and go through newspapers, how hard can that be?! - it can get pretty difficult in terms of choosing. I always wonder what it is that the ambassador and the consul would find interesting and important. In fact, they usually ask me to translate or make a summary of an article that I myself would never have chosen. Luckily, the ambassador speaks German so he gets the main points from the newspapers headlines. Besides, the embassy gets news monitor in English every day, so if there is something they are interested in, they point it out and I find the whole article that I translate.


When the secretary is absent, I take over. I pick up phones, note down the incoming post, send confirmation e-mails, arrange the ambassador's and the consul's schedules, and arrange meetings. Besides, I try to solve problems that Slovenian people have in the Netherlands - Why don't all of my employees get a social security number? Hm, are all your employees EU-members? No? Well, then you have to go here and there and yes, a huh, right... Of I listen to the problems the Dutch have encountered in Slovenia - Why did they fine me for not having a vignette? No idea, madam, maybe because you should have bought it but you didn't. No comment.


Another task that I often get is to help Slovenian companies find Dutch companies with certain products so they could send them their offer and start business with them. For example, a couple of weeks ago, I was helping a lady from the Alpina shoe factory. She wanted to present their offer of women fashion shoes to major Dutch
shoe shops.


Or the other day, I was approached by a lady (well, she wrote to the embassy in general and I am the person that then gets such tasks, haha) that was working on her MA thesis on the rights for adoption for partners of equal sex. She said that her mentor didn't want her to just name the law but provide the original name, the place where it was published and when, so I browsed the web for that information.


Let it be enough for today. It is Sunday tomorrow, but I have to work because Slovenia's having (yet another!) referendum. So I guess I'll spend my Sunday working on my thesis while waiting for those 5 people that will show up to vote. Exciting!



0 komentarji:

Objavite komentar

zemljevid Nizozemske

Enter your email address:

subscribe
Omne tulit punctum qui miscuit utile dulce.

Spremljevalci