is a must, of course.
We were extremely lucky with the weather. The days we spent in Leiden were mostly rainy and depressing, while the days we set out travelling were sunny and most beautiful.
This banner beautifully shows what the area of the present central train station looked like centuries ago. The area was a port and most of Amsterdam that is now streets and roads was once canals.
From the station, we strolled into the city along many a canal.
It might strike you as a joke, the way I placed the statue of Rembrandt in the Rembrandt Square in Amsterdam overlooking the Smokey coffeeshop, but in reality, it is exactly the same. Really, hahaha. Is it now the look of approval, disapproval or craving, we'll never know, hahaha. However, he does seem a bit stoned already, not minding that pigeon on his head.
Bicycles are central in the Netherlands, that's a fact. So this kind of street art is quite a logical consequence too, isn't it?
Hanging toys in a tree, on the other hand ... I don't know but it looks rather cruel to me.
Wandering the streets of Amsterdam, you can see plenty of interesting things, places (boats-turned-houses) and people. For example, this man caught my attention straight away. A somewhat mad scientist figure or an eccentric history teacher with a folder in one hand and a cigarette (a cigar would have been even better for the image) in the other.
One day, I took Irena to this coffee place Bagels&Beans in Leiden, just to get something to eat. She loved it so much that that cafe' became our haven from the commotion and bustle of the city in every place we visited.
A stop in one of numerous souvenir shops fits the role of the tourist.
Speaking of various interesting figures in the capital, I'd like you to listen to this guy. He was sitting on the pavement at the Damrak (the main street leading from the central station to the center - the Dam). The sounds he produced with that 'dish' (I don't want to sound disrespectful. I really don't know the name of that instrument) were simply amazing and the whole atmosphere was enchanting. We couldn't but stop and listen. In the hustle and bustle of the city, he created an oasis of peace and delight. Not that I don't like a vibrant city life. On the contrary. It felt good back then, though. To just stop and listen for a minute or two.
Avtor
Mojčica
3 komentarji:
oh i'm so very jealous! it makes me miss the netherlands so much!
It was great!!!!! :) Thanks so much for everything once again, my little sister. :)
P.S.: Dani, Bagels&Beans are such a wonderful and cute places. I'm really not surprised, that you liked them so much (Mojca told me so). I was inloved with those cafes and their bagels right away.
Lots of kisses and hugs from me. :)
Objavite komentar